Thursday, June 16, 2011

French Country Baskets


I love baskets; wooden baskets, wire baskets, all kinds of baskets!  


I found this dark, wooden basket at a garage sale for $5.  It is a nice, large basket and I think the little, metal grommets add so much character to its unique style.  I thought it would look fabulous in an aged, French country style.  I started by whitewashing the basket with white paint thinned with water, wiping off the excess with a rag.  This is what it looked like after the whitewash treatment.



Next, I gave it a coat of Ralph Lauren's glaze in smoke color, which gave the basket a weathered gray patina.  I suppose I should call this technique graywashing.



This wire basket also came from a yard sale and only cost $1.  This photo is not very good at showing the color of the basket before.  It was actually dark black with kind of orange-colored wood handles.


I wanted to create another French country style basket with muted colors, so I applied the same treatment as I did to the other basket.  It really toned down the basket and gave it an antiqued look.



I love the way the handles look after being "graywashed".



Ahhh...Don't you love hydrangeas?  Each flower is like a hundred tiny flowers all held together in one large, magnificent bloom.




This post is linked to:


    






18 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom has always loved baskets of all kinds, so when we go in a store that sells them, that's where she looks first. I love the chicken wire style basket that you did. I'm with you because I love hydrangeas too. The pink is my favorite, but I love the bright blue too.

Emily said...

Oh my gosh! I totally thought the first picture was from a magazine! Beautiful baskets and flowers! And, I do so love hydrangeas! They're my favorite. :)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Both baskets look fantastic with their washes.

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Gorgeous baskets! And, flowers, too :) I like your "graywashing" technique. It really gives them a nice patina.

Deborah said...

Hello my sweet friend!!
Im a basket lover too!
I love how you've gray-washed them...they are sooooooooooo nice!
I love hydrabgeas too...my Momma alwyas gives me dried ones every year...love them so!!
I've missed you xo

Deborah xoxo

Burlap Luxe said...

I as well love baskets! I cannot get enough of them, always finding a new one to love and trading in the old ones, this way I am not to over loaded with them in my home but I can use a new one to change the mood and not tire the room with the same ones.

I love your paint finish it is so euro flea market chic!

Thank you for stopping by to admire my French Gray zinc French address plaques.

I will return soon.

xx
Cheers
~Dore

Renee {Shabby, Chic and Charming} said...

Great job on both pieces, Amanda! I do so love hydrangeas.

Unknown said...

Oh yes I love baskets and hydrangeas and this post!!!! Beautiful. Thank you. Kylie

Tiff said...

Your baskets look so stunning! I love the way you styled them gently to give them that gorgeous aged look! X

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Amanda, I also thought the first picture was from a magazine. You found some great baskets at an amazing price. I love the washed look. Thank you for joining my party this week.
xo,
Sherry

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hopped over from Open House Thurs. Love the treatment you did on the baskets. Going to have to give that grey washing a try. Hydrangeas are to die for. We don't have alot of luck with them here in Ut. I did plant a Lime light tree and it's doing well.

Mona Kay Gorman said...

Wow, I just love those baskets!! I will have to start paying more attention at garage sales...sooo pretty! Love the "washes" you added...

The Unusual Farmchick said...

Absolutely great baskets! The redo you gave them is perfect. I have 2 baskets like the metal one with wooden handles. Mine are most likely 20 or more years old {I acquired them almost a decade ago}. Not a common find {I have been looking for more but yet to discover them}. LOVE LOVE the look of Hydranges. Makes me desire a few of them in the yard but I would have to take a few things out before adding anything. lol. Once again, great job on the finds- and the make over.

Sue said...

I love the metal basket that you gray-washed! It has such character. Your wire basket looks so pretty filled with hydrangeas. ~ Sue

michelle said...

They are beautiful Amanda and I love the renew on the wooden basket, so pretty.
xo

June said...

I'm looking for wire baskets like these - where else can I get them from? I'm from Singapore and we don't have them here.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to create another French country style basket with muted colors, so I applied the same treatment as I did to the other basket. It really toned down the basket and gave it an antiqued look.
salwar suit black and white
plain black punjabi suit

Wooden Baskets said...

Best wooden basketsArticle, I really like it. And love to read. Good work, keep it up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails